WASHINGTON – As Democratic politicians take a victory lap over their recently-passed Inflation Reduction Act, U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) and U.S. Rep. David Cicilline (D-RI) are still trying to recruit conservative lawmakers to back their activist-endorsed antitrust proposal, called the American Innovation and Choice Online Act (AICO). Accordingly, the Competitiveness Coalition is today sharing 10 of the greatest hits from liberal leaders and advocates praising the legislation. See below for a recap of the AICO Act’s top left-wing supporters and their praise of the bill:
- 2016 Democratic Presidential Nominee Hillary Clinton, who tweeted “…We’ve got to bring about a reckoning for the monopolies of big tech,” in sharing a TV clip applauding Klobuchar’s bill.
- Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren: “Let’s get it done.“
- Attorney General Merrick Garland’s Department of Justice, which threw its support behind the bill in a March 2022 letter.
- House Progressives led by Pramila Jayapal and including several “Squad” members such as Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib, sent a letter calling for a vote on S.2992 noting it “has the full support of the Biden Administration.”
- FTC Chair Lina Khan “put her stamp of approval” on Senate efforts including S.2992, and told Politico “I think these are incredibly important efforts.”
- FTC Commissioner Alvaro Bedoya, a close ally of Khan: a“huge benefit to enforcement particularly in the tech arena.”
- White House Economic Adviser Brian Deese, who recently debated the definition of the word ‘recession’ said “we would like to see it happen” when discussing passage of the AICO Act.
- The Center for American Progress, described as the most “one of the most prominent left-leaning think tanks,” endorsed the proposal in June 2022.
- Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo, who claimed 8 months ago that inflation would be a “short-term problem, not a long-term problem,” backed the Klobuchar bill in April 2022.
- Washington Post Columnist Jennifer Rubin, who called voters ‘“stupid” for blaming the Biden Administration on gas prices, included the AICO Act among the three action items that Democrats should complete prior to the midterm elections.
“You are the company you keep, and conservatives considering supporting Klobuchar’s big-government, antitrust bill should think long and hard about its supporters,” said Scott Brown, Chair of the Competitiveness Coalition. “More artificial regulations from Washington D.C. will further slow economic growth now and stifle the innovators of tomorrow. Our economic health depends on the death of the AICO Act. Let’s hope conservatives are paying attention.”
For more information, please visit competitivenesscoalition.com. Members of the press can contact the coalition at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Competitiveness Coalition is a first-of-its-kind group educating the public and advocating for policies that put consumers first while fostering innovation and attracting new investment.